I am a pain in my own ass

Today is Grandparents as Learning Partners day at kindergarten. I love that idea. I’d love to write a whole essay on the importance of grandparents as learning partners, to deconstruct the concept, to cite research that promotes cross generational involvement in the education of our young.  I’d love to use this as an opportunity to publicly celebrate the fact that my children have five very involved grandparents and six only slightly less involved great grandparents.

It’s remarkable.  I know.

But I can’t do any of that today.  Because its 7:37 and I’ve already seriously stressed myself out.

So let’s focus on that, shall we?

This morning, I have a big deal meeting.  I’m in charge of developing a social studies curriculum for the remainder of the year that 250 9th graders are dependent on.

Fine.

Not really.  I need more prep time.

Fortunately, my in-laws spent the night last night so they could attend Grandparents as Learning Partners at kindergarten this morning.

As wonderful and meaningful as this is to my 6 year old, it’s even more so for me.  Because Grandparents as Learning Partners means I’m off the hook for Crazy Pre-Workday Morning Routine.

Translation: This morning, I did not have to be responsible for anybody but myself.

Just let that sink in for a second.

So, I took an extra long shower.  I both washed my hair and shaved my legs.  Let me be clear: THAT NEVER HAPPENS.  I usually have to make Sophie’s choice when it comes to matters of personal hygiene.

It’s painful but it’s true.

I had my coffee, checked my email, cuddled with my children and then left my house at 7:10.  No seriously.  I was on my way to workat 7:10.  And 7:10 provided me with a whole extra hour to prep for my meeting.

Except that as soon as I reached the subway platform, I realized I left my materials at home.

Yup.

I retraced my steps back to the house.  I grabbed my materials.  I returned to the subway platform.

A half hour of my life.

Wasted.

Because I’m a pain in my own ass.  And because things keep falling out of my head.

I can’t even appropriately take advantage of Grandparents as Learning Partners.

Now I have 30 minutes to prep for my meeting.  I could have had an hour.  Or I could have snuggled with my kids for an extra half hour.  Instead, I managed to waste my own fucking time.

But who needs time anyway?  It’s such an overly hyped commodity.  Chocolate, on the other hand, is gravely under-recognized.

Perhaps today Chocolates as Learning Partners would work better.

7 Responses to I am a pain in my own ass
  1. Marie Durfee
    March 30, 2012 | 12:57 pm

This is the first time I chanced onto your blog, and was loving it until I hit the “F” word….found that offensive and unnecessary. I will read more of your blogs to see if that is an oft-used word….if it is…I think I’ll spend my time on other good blogs.

• Kami
      March 30, 2012 | 1:02 pm

Thanks for stopping by. Sorry if I offended you. You’ll find I curse often. That should save you the trouble of looking for more F words.

• Marie Durfee
        March 30, 2012 | 1:11 pm

You are prompt!!! I hadn’t read your “about” comments, one of which tells us that you curse once in awhile…I can handle it…I’ll try your style; it is different, and I will enjoy it, scooting over the words I don’t enjoy. Be yourself, girl, that’s important!!

2. Tania
    March 30, 2012 | 1:29 pm

I hate when this kind of thing happens to me! However I love you and your writing and your blog. Sometimes it’s hard to get off our own backs. I read somewhere that someone is always going to be doing what you are trying to do a bit better or be further along than you are in some aspect of what you want in your life and it doesn’t mean you stop trying. Perfection seeking can cause havoc, more so than mistakes, right? I’ll keep telling myself that anyway. :)

3. Kendra
    March 31, 2012 | 10:44 am

Grandparents are the best! I know not everyone is lucky to have known theirs so I cherish the relationships I have with mine. My son also has 5 very involved Grandparents and 6 great’s as well. It makes me very happy. I hope your presentation went off without a hitch!

4. WorkingMom
    March 31, 2012 | 11:14 am

Look on the bright side – 30 minutes to prep you usually wouldn’t have had, you can devour another piece of chocolate because you had to physically retrace your steps, and your legs are clean-shaven!

The Grandparents Day – what a great opportunity for your daughter and your in-laws – my kids had Grandfriends’ Luncheons, and it was always sort of bittersweet the number of kids that my parents or in-laws would play surrogate grandparent to.

Keep writing, however you see fit. These are your words, your expressions, your emotions, and I applaud that you took the time to warn others of your selection of phrasing at times.

As for the 9th grade curriculum – have you consider reducing the lessons to 140 characters and tweeting them?